Friday, October 19, 2012

Six Month Anniversary

Today marks my sixth full month as a Chicago resident. Can you believe it? The heat has fled, the leaves are on the ground and I've settled in to my first Illinois autumn. True, it's only been half a year, but I can already tell that Chicago will always have a piece of me. Literally. I'm having my gallbladder removed next week.

I'm going to take a moment here to recap on my Chicago extravaganzas thus far. Come along, will you?

THE FRIENDS:
Chicago's got 'em, and I took 'em. I have been extremely blessed with the most absurd group of friends, and continue to find some real gems. From coworkers to classmates to mere strangers, I have managed to gather quite a lovely collection. I have friends willing to drive me to the E.R. in the middle of the night, or drink some champagne in the middle of the day for no needed reason. Good people out here.

THE WRITING:
Classes are becoming more and more of a challenge, but isn't that the point? I'm finishing Writing 2 this week, with two satires and a parody (if my creative juices will allow it). And into Writing 3 the following week - which will put me almost half way through the program. Holla! But more importantly than the writing, I am meeting some absolutely outstanding people. People whose brains work in ways I cannot even fathom. I love these surroundings.

THE BOY:
Yes, Chicago has given me one of these, too. He is funny and he is a weirdo and his name is Rickey. He will probably start writing classes at Second City soon and be much better at it than me, with his English degree and his super brain. But I'll look past this, because my heart is so kind and his face is so handsome.

THE JOB:
It's the worst.

And that about sums it up, folks. Six months and living the midwestern dream. GO BEARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment